“Forget about someone’s resume or how they present themselves at a party. Can they blog or not? The blog doesn’t lie.”
While I wish this was true, we are all the sum of our experiences. Here are some of mine and how they have helped shaped the way that I work. Here is the .pdf file if you would like it.
Project Management Expertise in Product Development and Strategy to Accelerate Adoption and Revenue Generation
Accomplished, enthusiastic project manager with 13+ years of success delivering projects on time and within budget through improved productivity, performance, and cost control. Communicate effectively with all levels of management.
- Cross-functional team leadership competencies span the entire project delivery lifecycle, from conception through product development and launch. Manage large, complex projects, pulling disparate teams together to focus on execution and delivery. Effectively manage risks and apply mitigation strategies. Astute understanding of key success factors.
- Solid in project management essentials of initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, and closing as well as processes, methodologies, tools, scope of management, budgeting, financial tracking, scheduling, resource management, solution identification and assessment, vendor selection, procurement, contract negotiations, and business case creation. Proficient in Waterfall, Agile, PMBOK, Test-Driven Design, and Lean Six Sigma project management methodologies.
- Innovator in launching strategies, products, and projects to capture new opportunities, maximize profit streams, and drive business growth. Delivered accelerated growth in revenue through NPD, new service offerings, and new channels.
Core Competencies Include
• Project Life Cycle Management • Cross-Functional Team Leadership • New Product Development • Product Marketing • Test-Driven Design • Issues & Risk / Change Management • Partner & Vendor Management • Quality Assurance • Software Development Lifecycle • Scrum, Waterfall, Agile, PMBOK, others • Strategic Business Planning • Regulatory Affairs
Advanced Fitness Solutions, LLC, Lehi, UT, 8/2000–present
Managing Partner, Project Manager
Served as Implementation Project Manager for large scale programs in 89 school districts across the country, spearheading all project planning and implementation and overseeing local project teams in creating systemic change within school districts and community-based organizations. Manage all key stakeholder relationships and cross-functional project teams up to 140. Utilized Waterfall and Agile project management strategies, depending on client need. 100% of client projects were completed on time and achieved intended outcomes.
Co-launched and grew company to $1.1M in annual revenue by FY 2012 with full accountability for P&L, budget, strategic direction, operations, product development, business development, marketing, and cultivation of clients and strategic alliances. Manage new product development and bring new products to market. Main client contact in project management and delivery.
- Developed new process management system that improved grant implementation efficiency to more effectively support systemic change. Introduced change management system to improve rate and depth of systemic change.
- Trained program managers within client school districts in duties, techniques, and strategies to improve adoption rates by teachers, compliance with federal guidelines and regulations, and adherence to budget restrictions.
- Created and instituted standardized process evaluation protocol, including KPI, to measure level of change created by newly implemented programs and to demonstrate project progress in making required systemic changes and improvements. As a result, 100% of clients were compliant with federal guidelines compared to a baseline of 63%.
- Recovered 75+ man hours for each district project manager by creating a streamlined implementation process for curriculum overhaul, greatly improving efficiency of process team.
- Developed and managed project budgets from $500,000 to $2.5M on projects that spanned one to three years. At any one time, directly oversaw project implementation at as many as fifteen client sites.
- Saved clients $9.8M on equipment purchases by improving the client procurement and bid process and contract negotiations with vendors during grant implementation. Negotiated substantial discounts on shipping and product cost.
- Procured $100M+ in federal funding for school districts across the country by providing guidance in grant development, submission, and evaluation.
- Captured $135K in annual cost savings for the company through changes in personnel strategies starting FY 2010.
- Brought an average of 1 new product to market each year by identifying and capitalizing on unfilled needs of the school districts. Authored and produced 3 textbooks on physical education that are still used in schools in 15 states.
“Michael helped craft the vision of the project in the planning stages and has made sure our team stays informed and focused on the intended outcomes of the project and provided my team with required guidance and direction.” Administrator, Palm Beach County Schools
PHONE DIRECTORIES COMPANY, INC., Orem, UT, 4/1998–7/2000
Director of Marketing & Public Relations
Stepped into newly created position to overhaul marketing and branding across 150+ markets. Supervised team of 7 responsible for designing all company print and broadcast advertising. Managed creative direction and controlled workflow. Negotiated and scheduled ad buys, saving time and effort of local managers. Established KPIs to track ad effectiveness.
- Within 3 months, rebranded the entire company and transitioned to approved images and ads—standardized, unified, and strengthened previously disparate regional/local brand strategies, working tirelessly with local managers.
- Developed and rolled out a consistent company-wide sales campaign for use in each sales market. Trained local sales managers on the campaign and worked with each one to create effective individualized sales programs for each market. Utilized CCPM and Waterfall project management strategies to provide required structure.
- Created and implemented standardized marketing roll-out plan for each market that improved end-user delivery rollout and usage and saved local managers 40 hours per year per market on average.
- Brought advertising and marketing in-house, saving 15% in total expenditures by eliminating waste and better managing costs; additionally improved reach and penetration of campaigns.
- Expertly managed negative publicity, working jointly with VP Sales in Canada and the US. Instituted standardized crisis intervention program to help local managers quickly manage response and take appropriate action.
- Managed event planning, orchestrating company conferences and workshops in the US and Canada, working with VP Sales on planning, lodging, scheduling, and speaker engagements. Standardized the process, driving efficiencies in planning and evaluation, saving time for VP Sales and Director of Operations.
SEVEN PEAKS WATERPARK & ICE ARENA, INC., Provo, UT, 9/1996–4/1998
Director of Marketing & Sales
Selected to spearhead market expansion initiatives with accountability for sales, marketing, advertising, brand management, community outreach, and promotions/PR. Provided PR management for The Peaks Ice Area, which opened during tenure and was a venue for the 2002 Winter Olympic Games of Salt Lake City. Planned annual advertising campaign for both Waterpark and Ice Area venues. Established advertising metrics to monitor effectiveness.
- Drove YOY sales increases while controlling advertising costs—5.6% increase in annual gate receipts and 9.8% increase in sales of scheduled group events (50–50,000 guests) each summer.
- Managed publicity for the opening of the Ice Arena and spearheaded coop advertising efforts, working with major brand-name companies, including Coca-Cola, Subway, and McDonald’s.
- Broadened market reach through community outreach programs, including Peak Readers program, which awarded entry tickets to local students who completed a minimum number of reading hours; program effectively increased the number of gate receipts during slow periods.
- Created tracking protocol for marketing and advertising to determine effectiveness of all media efforts. Reallocated money as needed to create increases in gate receipts and group sales.
Bachelor of Arts (BA), Sociology, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT, 1996
Project Management Professional (PMP), Project Management Institute (License # 1673905)
Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), Scrum Alliance (License # 000297818)
Anticipated Date for Product Marketing Certification (PMC-III): January, 2014
Awards | Skills
Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America
ADP Gold Book Awards for Excellence in Radio Advertising, TV Advertising, Print Advertising, and Sales Promotion Pieces
Proficient in various project management software platforms
Experienced in PMBOK, Waterfall, Test-Driven Design, and Scrum Project Management Methodologies
Volunteer Activities | Interests
Fundraiser for Huntsman Cancer Institute
Member of Project Management International (PMI)
Avid cyclist, runner, and triathlete
Ironman and multiple marathon finisher